DIY Chevron Coasters

Hey guys!  So this is a super quick and cheap project that I LOVED making!  And, I’m thinking they are a great gift idea for under $5!

I love my Chevron Stocking Hangers so much and I wanted to continue the same pattern with another project.  Being that I have been using the same boring, black, rubber coasters for years, it was time for a change.  Off to Home Depot I went!

I purchased these bone colored, 4×4 tiles for a whopping $0.16 each!

I also purchased these felt pads for about $3.50.

I cut a chevron print, from my silhouette, with contact paper and stuck the print to each tile.  I followed up with gray acrylic paint.  PEEL OFF THE CONTACT PAPER BEFORE THE PAINT DRIES:)

When the acrylic paint dried, I used several coats of Mod Podge to seal the print.  Make sure each coat has dried completely before applying another.

Finish off with a felt pad in each corner.

ummmm LOVE:)))

They give me the false sense that I’m all put together in the morning when I sit down to drink my coffee…..I’m quickly brought back to reality when we are making a mad, screaming dash out the door as we are running late for school:)  It is nice while it lasts though!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

~Ashley

1. Jenafer Cone Dorman on January 11, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Probably a stupid question…I am a “newbie”, but what is a silhouette, and where can I buy/get one?

2. lilbake on January 31, 2012 at 10:26 pm

these r so cool iv never had the chance to make coasters but these r amazing so this is a must thanks this is now on my to do list

3. Natalie on January 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I am obsessed with DIY coasters! There are so many different things you can do. Here are the ones I made last week. I am giving away a set to a random commenter, so check them out and leave a comment =]

Love your blog.
    -Natalie

4. Karen Neill on January 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I absolutely love this idea. I bet if you kept a close eye on craigslist you could get some real bargains on tiles if you were doing lots of these.

5. Carrie on January 3, 2012 at 2:48 am

Those are SO cute. Thanks!

6. Barbara @diyHomeStagingTips.com on December 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Who doesn’t love a chevron pattern? These are beautiful. I like the way you wrapped the design around the sides.

It’s time for me to refresh our coasters. Replace them would be a better word. We bought them on our honeymoon, 20 years ago! Thanks for the pretty tutorial.

7. Andrea on December 4, 2011 at 8:00 am

My contact paper didn’t leave very crisp edges– i found that a wipe down through the parts that weren’t painted left me with the edges I wanted! Very cute idea. It inspired my friends and I to do a coaster exchange where everyone makes one set with one color but we trade so we have a set of all different colors. So fun!

8. Johnnie on November 15, 2011 at 11:22 am

These look great! Thanks for sharing.

9. Merrsidotes on November 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Just another reason why I need a Silhouette! Very cute

10. Stephanie on November 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I have fallen in love with these coasters!!! Chevron is one of my favorite prints right now and to see it on a coaster…Awesome way to add a special touch of pattern to any room! Thank you for sharing 🙂

Today, I am sharing this with my lovelies… http://polkadotbungalow.blogspot.com/2011/11/marvelous-mondayno-10.html..Thank you again!

Steph

11. Diana on November 13, 2011 at 3:08 am

Love it… That is such a great DIY idea… I might have to use it 😉 Thanks for the great tutorial… Time to get out my Cricut and make a design!!! Great gift idea and bonus… it is inexpensive too…

Blessings,
    Diana

12. Rachelle on November 13, 2011 at 12:07 am

These coasters are really eye-catching! Love them!

13. June Scott on November 12, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Nice job, Ashley! It would be fun to make these in coordinating colors for family and friends if you know their color of choice! Thanks for sharing!

14. amy on November 12, 2011 at 9:53 pm

These are so gorgeous! Wow! And so frugal too…I had no idea the tiles were so inexpensive! I would love to have a set of those. Would you pretty pretty please share them here at my Shine On party?

15. Bonnie on November 12, 2011 at 5:14 am

I love these for a gift. Please come link them to my $10 or less Christmas gifts linkparty!

16. Vicky on November 12, 2011 at 4:02 am

Those are so pretty! Who knew it was so easy? I love this idea for homemade Christmas gifts. I am a new follower from Tatertots and Jello. Vicky from Mess For Less

17. Jackie on November 12, 2011 at 3:09 am

Love it. I don’t know if I will ever tire of the chevron trend.

18. WhyCuzICan on November 12, 2011 at 2:56 am

Very chic indeed. I would love those for a gift, I’ll tell you that! Nice job!

Thanks for sharing today 😀
    Visiting from TT&J linky party,
    Smiles, Suzanne in NW Illinois

19. Laura Beth on November 12, 2011 at 1:07 am

These are fabulous :o) And would make a great Christmas gift!

20. Tiffany on November 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Even the kiddos can help with this, thank you, you guys are really digging the chevron lately. Oh and I agree with Jan, not very successful with the contact paper in my Silhouette either.

21. Jan on November 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Cute Ashley! I have a question though. I bought some cute contact paper a while ago and tried cutting with no luck. What settings are you using on the Silhouette and are you loading it on the carrier mat? Thanks!

22. Diana @ The Girl Creative on November 11, 2011 at 3:57 am

Love those! I have to remember to pick up some contact paper. Such a great idea to use that as a stencil. 🙂

23. Bronna on November 11, 2011 at 3:26 am

OMG! Adorable. Love it!

24. Karen Weight on November 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm

What a great idea! I want to try these:) Great Christmas gifts!!

25. Kassi @ Truly Lovely on November 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

These are great! I’ve seen several tile coasters around but yours look so professional! 🙂

26. janae on November 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm

ADORABLE!! SO going to try this! Thanks for the tutorial!

27. Lane on November 10, 2011 at 6:21 pm

These are too cute…I’m not “pinning” this idea because this is definitely what my friends and family are getting for Christmas this year! 🙂 Did you peel the contact paper off after you painted it gray?

28. Ciara on November 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this simple and inexpensive idea!
    When do you peel off the contact paper? Before or after the paint has dried?
    Thanks!

29. Trish @ Uncommon on November 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm

These are awesome! I love the simplicity of them so much.
    We are hosting a Home for the Holidays party and these are a wonderful gift idea. We would love for you to join us!