DIY Barn Door Hardware for $20

You read it right! $20 DIY Barn Door Hardware 🙂 We love adding barn doors to just about anything, lately, and I have been determined to figure out how to make a DIY version of hardware for you guys. The hardware can be so pricey and when you are trying to build budget-friendly pieces, sometimes it just can’t be done. It took me a full two days of work and four trips to Home Depot to get this hardware just right! And, I’m so excited to finally be able to share it with you!

DIY Barn Door Hardware

This is a project that is better taught in a video so, Whitney and I made a how-to video for you! Just click PLAY below to watch how easy it is to DIY your own Barn Door Hardware!

Isn’t it gorgeous! And, they are totally customizable! Make them for any piece of furniture you want (even a full door). All you have to do is make the track piece longer or shorter. If you make it longer, just add a few more spacers with hex screws, along the track for added support.

So, let’s build it!

DIY Barn Door Hardware – The Supplies

The supplies can be a little bit overwhelming so, I’m listing them below, with links, so that you can find them in hardware store.

Here are the supplies you’ll need for ONE barn door. If you are building two barn doors, double the supplies.

DIY Barn Door Hardware

The star of the show are these Clothesline Pulleys. You will need two and you can find them HERE. These babies are only $2.38 at Home Depot. Just take them apart (watch the video to see exactly how) and you’ve got yourself a barn door wheel! *Note: These pulleys are from Home Depot. We tried to take apart the pulley’s at Lowe’s and had no luck. They are made differently so if you can, try to get them at Depot.

DIY Custom Barn Door Hardware

Next up, you will need one package of these 2″ hex screws. Find them HERE.

DIY Barn Door Hardware -supplies

You’ll need two 1″ spacers. These can be metal also. My Home Depot only had nylon material but it’s going to get spray painted, so it doesn’t matter. You can find them HERE.

DIY Barn Door Hardware - track

Next, you’ll need a 1″x1/8″x96″ Aluminum Flat Bar. You can find it HERE. If you are building two of these, you still only need one flat bar.

DIY Barn Door Hardware - the supplies

DIY Barn Door Hardware – Wheel Assembly

For the wheel assembly, you’ll need:

2 – 1/4″ x 1″ hex bolts: find them HERE

1 package of  – 1/4″ washers: find them HERE

1 package of 1/4″ locking nuts: find them HERE

DIY Barn Door Hardware

You’ll also need a few baby hex screws. You can find the box HERE

DIY Barn Door Hardware

We used a speed square and a pencil to mark for our cuts. You can find the speed square we use HERE on Amazon.

DIY Barn Door Hardware

You’ll need a jigsaw blade that will cut metal. You can find one HERE.

DIY Barn Door Hardware

Clamp the flat bar down to cut it.

DIY Barn Door Hardware

It cuts through the flat bar like butta!

DIY Barn Door Hardware

Use metal drilling drill bits to predrill your holes in the flat bar. You can find the drill bits HERE. Refer to the video for the placement of the holes!

Now you can assemble the wheels.

DIY Barn Door Hardware

Refer to the video for the wheel assembly.

DIY Barn Door Hardware – The Track

You’ll also need a nut driver bit to drill the hex screws into the barn door track. You can find a set of bits HERE.

DIY Barn Door Hardware

Once all of the holes are predrilled and the wheels are assembled you can attach the barn door track to the piece of furniture.

DIY Barn Door Hardware – Painting

Test it out! We made sure everything fit, just right, before taking the track down to paint all of the hardware.

DIY Barn Door Hardware

We used two coats of Rust-Oleum Flat Black Spray paint. You can find it HERE on Amazon. *Tip: make sure you spin the wheels around, as they dry,  to get full coverage!

Once the spray paint dried, we mounted the track back on the furniture and attached the barn door (refer to the video for that, too)!

DIY Barn Door Hardware For $20

That was it! Custom DIY Barn Door Hardware and we didn’t break the bank 😉

DIY Barn Door Hardware - For $20
DIY Barn Door Hardware

Make sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel so you don’t miss our next video: How to build this awesome Barn Door followed by the light sconce!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Happy Building!

1. Christi Ainsworth on May 22, 2022 at 4:48 pm

I almost forgot its been so long, For heavier doors i made my own roller wheels using 2″Fender washers with 1/4″ hole in center. First started with 2x- 8″ piece flat bar and drilled 3 holes in each bar. One at top to attatch roller wheel and 2 bottom to attach door. The roller wheel is made with 2× 2″ Fender washers. In-between the larger fender washers are smaller 1 1/2″ Fender washers. I used 3. I also placed washers on the outside of the larger fender washers to prevent wheel from rubbing on the 8″ flat bar scratching the paint off. Finally a 1/4″ bolt, 1 1/4″ long is the “axel” all the parts are placed on the bolt and a locking nut holds it all on but remember to leave locking nut loose enough so wheel rolls freely on the track. Then using bottom 2 holes attach “wheel” to door and then mount on track.

2. Christi Ainsworth on May 22, 2022 at 3:48 pm

You can use skateboard or skooter wheels for heavier door and to keep the door from pulling back install a section of galvanized or aluminum angle iron at the bottom of the door. You could also install L brackets on the floor placed on the right and left side of the door frame to keep the door from swinging out when open or closed.

3. Cindy on January 28, 2022 at 11:24 am

Thank you for this great tutorial. I appreciate all the links to make shopping for supplies much easier. I’m going to use your tutorial for mirrors covering my built-in medicine cabinets. The mirrors weigh about 45 lbs each. Should I go with metal wheels?

4. Daniel on September 27, 2020 at 4:13 pm

I had a rough time with these. They did not turn out well. The wheels don’t move very well, and when they don’t they can damage the paint you have on the bar. They also want to unscrew the nut at the back side as they turn. Not sure if I didn’t something wrong.

In the end I decided to buy some hardware off of Amazon. 2.5 feet kit for 30 bucks, which is pretty good considering the quality over this diy solution and you get rubber bumpers at the end.

5. Jeannie McQuaid on May 27, 2020 at 12:08 pm

How do you keep the pulleys from getting knocked off the track? They appear to be just resting there by force of gravity.

6. Stephanie on May 18, 2020 at 9:12 pm

Are the steps written out anywhere, or just have to watch the youtube?

7. Leah on April 11, 2020 at 9:43 pm

My wheels don’t spin and the locking kit is falling off… send help ??‍♀️

8. Shaunda Babson on January 15, 2020 at 8:45 am

Exactly what I was looking for

9. Michelle G on January 5, 2020 at 7:10 pm

The link to the pulley y’all used is no longer available, but it appears from the photo that the pulley was a 4” size??? Is that correct?

10. Ben Engelman on July 9, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Having an issue with the wheels not rolling properly.

11. Liyan Song on April 17, 2019 at 2:53 am

Hi Friend,
    This is Lianne, And we are a hardware factory named Jiaxing Moran Hardware Co.,Ltd is located in Jiaxing City, Zhejiang Province.
    Main in doors, windows and furniture hardware parts. We are specialized in manufacturing Barn door hardware and all the accessories. We supply to the two biggest barn door company in USA. We can promise the quality and service for sure.
    Attachment is our catalog and if you have any question or idea please contact me any time.Thanks.

12. Matthew on March 18, 2019 at 11:40 am

Install the locking nuts backwards. That will allow for a tighter fit but room for wheel to spin freely.

13. Lisa on January 28, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Could you use this way with slide behind doors?

14. Luis A Zambrano on January 18, 2019 at 1:59 pm

I think you can curve the ends to an L shape either way to stop it from falling.

15. Bill on January 13, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Is anybody else finding that the 1” hex nuts don’t fit through the wheel

16. Virginia on November 5, 2018 at 6:08 pm

How much weight will this support? I’m looking to hang a full sized door made of 3/4″ T&G with some coat hooks plus a light mirror.

17. Carole on September 19, 2018 at 7:11 am

I love this website, thank you for the great ideas, I have two doors that I would like to install on our lean/open barn type garage, no doors at either end, so would like to add these two door to the floor to hide the junk but would need a longer bar, how would I connect two or three bars together and have the doors slide all the way, any idea

18. Wendy on September 11, 2018 at 4:05 pm

What did you use to stop the doors from falling off the track at the ends ?

19. L L on July 31, 2018 at 4:38 pm

THERES THOSE WHO DONT HAVE FILTERS. THEYRE JUST ARROGANT.. GIVES THEM GRATIFICATION PICKING OTHERS APART..

20. AlysaJuicy on July 27, 2018 at 11:52 am

Hi. I see that you don’t update your page too often. I know that writing content
    is time consuming and boring. But did you know that there is a
    tool that allows you to create new articles using existing content
    (from article directories or other blogs from your niche)?
    And it does it very well. The new posts are unique and
    pass the copyscape test. You should try miftolo’s tools

21. Michelle on July 20, 2018 at 7:14 pm

I had a ton of problems with this. I think the flat pieces that connect the pulleys to the doors need to be steel rather than aluminum as the aluminum just didn’t hold up well. I followed the plans to a T and the pulleys just don’t slide well. Very disappointing.

22. Heather McConnell on July 13, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Hi ladies, Could you provide me with the height measurements on the barn wood door nightstand. I believe it will be to short for beside my bed, I don’t really want to have feet added to the bottom just wondering so I can make my purchase for the plywood according to what I will need.

Heather

23. Emily Johnson on June 22, 2018 at 8:28 am

My “locking nut” doesn’t seem to be locking. I have to keep tightening the wheel or the door falls off. Did I do something wrong? ?

24. Ethan Sims on June 21, 2018 at 10:29 am

Is there anything on these that prevents the door from sliding off the rail on each end? If not what could I use to solve that problem?

25. Jesse on April 30, 2018 at 5:48 am

Might want to add a stopper so ur door isnt rolling off the cabinet. I can see a small child rolling it straight off the cabinet.

26. Dee on April 26, 2018 at 4:18 am

I’ve been looking for a stand like this. Did you build it yourself? If so, is the plan available for purchase?

27. NickMan1313 on April 4, 2018 at 4:47 pm

people are insulting WOW she just saved you $100 dollars and you complaining that it was over $20 in your area. I am going to charge you $50 for the free infromation. Great site loved the project. Thank YOU!

28. Brenda on March 10, 2018 at 1:07 pm

That’s awesome!!! is there a way to make them bypass for like four doors

29. Wayne on March 5, 2018 at 8:35 am

Assembling the wheels as shown, my vertical track is hitting the hex heads for horizontal bar. What am I doing wrong ?

• Cameron on September 14, 2019 at 10:42 pm

Did you use the spacer?

30. Amber on February 18, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Question I know you need 2 9in from the flat bar, but was is the measurement for the 3 long piece.
    Thanks In advance 🙂

31. Jon on February 12, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Wow, I am going to try the barn wheels and sliding door on a tv console my wife wants me to make and I was dying looking at the prices they want for the hardware alone! You guys are awesome for sharing! Thanks a bunch

32. Carolyn on January 24, 2018 at 10:46 am

How did your paint hold up ?…did it scratch off with the moving wheel ?

• Jamie on January 27, 2018 at 10:17 am

I have the same question about the paint. I am concerned the paint will scrape off. Is there a way to protect the paint AFTER I’ve sprayed it on (like polyurethane)?

• Michelle on July 20, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Yup all scratched off

33. Shelby Ford on November 9, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Can I use this hardware on a full-size bedroom door?

• David S on January 2, 2018 at 10:27 am

Where can I get the baskets?

• G.Vachon on April 15, 2018 at 12:54 pm

the wheel should be in iron, not plastic because of the door weight

• JamesR on April 18, 2018 at 5:43 pm

That door will only weigh 4 to 5 lbs, I don’t think it will matter.

• Cody Chase on November 26, 2021 at 7:48 am

Is there a recommendation for a way to stop the doors from going too far one way or the other, to prevent it from accidentally falling off?

• Jesseu on April 30, 2018 at 6:08 am

For a heavier door you would want to use flat metal on both sides of the door to distribute weight.

• Don R on August 28, 2019 at 4:18 pm

I used the smaller wheels on a similar size door and they work just fine. The door doesn’t weigh that much

34. Karen McKinnon Teeter on November 1, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Thank you!!! I was looking for some examples of this b/c I want to do a pair of these over each window in one room, each door sliding in opposite directions. I am hoping to make it work. Thanks again.

35. kelly on October 21, 2017 at 2:07 am

By The Way…..the way to spell the word is “pulley” and the plural is “pulleys”. So where do you get off correcting anyone Won Word?

• Laurie on September 13, 2020 at 6:34 am

How do I do this for a much heavier door for a doorway.

36. Dana Spiers on July 16, 2017 at 10:31 am

I am not seeing th measurements for how long to cut then aluminum bar….can anyone help there? Thanks

37. Robert Rhonda Poetker on May 31, 2017 at 1:28 pm

This is so cool !!! Thanks for the Share !!! I’ll keep this bookmarked and also share it on my diy site too 🙂 This is another reason why i follow you ladies 🙂 So inspiring !!!

38. Kallie Jackson on May 13, 2017 at 9:19 pm

I’ve made two sets of these for doors in my house using a similar technique but I used garage door pulleys. I have two reclaimed wood doors with a wrought iron panel in each on my pantry using the garage door pulleys so needless to say, it gets a LOT of use and those doors are heavy. I used an “L” bracket screwed in the floor to keep the doors from swinging out and a hex bolt in the ends of the aluminum strip as a stop. They’re truly beautiful.

• Tboss on August 7, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Can u show me a pic of how the brackets look. I’m wanting to do a pantry door as well.

• Laura Anne on September 8, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Can you clarify the L bracket with a picture? I have a toddler as I’m worried that she’s going to pull on the door that already swings out

• Lise D. on September 14, 2017 at 7:59 am

I really like your
      post. Just seeing it this fall and am replacing my garage doors. Was just looking at what I could do with the pulley system! Could you post a picture or 2? Especially interested in the L-bracket at the floor interface. Thanks!

• kelly on October 21, 2017 at 2:09 am

Was it very difficult to do? I’m renting and need more room, for my bathroom door, and my little storage area door. Thank you.

• Jessica Adams on June 25, 2018 at 11:30 am

Pictures?

• Leslie on June 23, 2021 at 7:33 am

Can you give me your directions?

39. Kashonna Gordon on May 8, 2017 at 12:26 pm

What color and brand of paint is on the walls? I’ve been looking for a grey paint color to paint my living room.

40. Hayley on May 6, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Love this! Such a fantastic share! My husband and I are in the midst of converting a walk-in attic to a bathroom, creating a “Master Suite” in our 1880’s FarmHouse. We would love to do this for the Bypass doors for our closet. I was thinking we could use the spacers and space a second bar out from the first… but then it occurred to me that the door wouldn’t be able to slide passed the spacers. Any suggestions???

41. Leslie Whitt Comer on April 28, 2017 at 5:26 pm

It cost me total $31 at a Texas Home Depot in April 2017. I still appreciate your channel, but the title about the hardware costing $20 is false.

• Shanty2Chic on April 28, 2017 at 5:32 pm

You can make 2 sets for $40 after tax. I built two nightstands 😉 you should have enough flat bar to build another set.

• Leslie Whitt Comer on April 29, 2017 at 6:01 am

I see…I’ll post pictures of my screen porch door conversion when I finish. Thanks, girls!

• James on March 25, 2019 at 10:27 am

Do you have something as a stopper so the door won’t roll right off the track?

• Chris on May 7, 2020 at 7:57 am

The flat bar it’s self cost $20 (in my area). How are you buying everything else and the total be $20?

• Crystal on December 28, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Can you yell me what size the pulleys are? The link for Home Depotvshows unavailable:(

• Jenna Spadt on May 20, 2017 at 8:32 am

It is not false. I just bought the supplies yesterday at Home Depot and spent $39 for everything I need to make TWO.

• Shanty2Chic on May 20, 2017 at 8:36 am

Happy to hear ???????? Can’t wait to see yours! Send us pics when you finish 🙂

• Michelle Pettis on February 18, 2021 at 7:32 am

What size Pulley is used? Home Depot is out of stock and the website does not tell you a size or stock number? I can’t find it on your tutorial. Thanks

• SandraB on February 12, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Same.. I just purchased supplies to make 3 doors and it was $53 with tax!

• Heather on May 6, 2018 at 9:42 am

You would easily spend $300 and more to buy a barndoor and it’s hardware, so really???? WTF people, get a life!

42. Brittany Boyd on April 23, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Did the price for the aluminum bar go up? The bar that is linked here is $18 alone…

43. Carole Bélanger on April 12, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Thank you so much for this! I know what I’m doing this week-end. I have been waiting for a long time to find an idea like this on pinterst. I’ll send you a picture of what I’m doing.

44. Marc-Andre Gauthier Merk on April 5, 2017 at 7:41 am

I’m thinking of doing the same thing but on a larger scale 2 closet doors built of 1/2″ sanded birch plywood with framing around the edges. Would you girls suggest a thicker gauge aluminum?

45. Jana Taylor on March 23, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Tried to subscribe for e-mails & it says the option has been deactivated

• Shanty2Chic on March 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Sorry about that! We are working on some back end stuff with our subscription list. It should be working soon!

46. JJ Rubalcava on March 11, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Any plans for this nightstand?

47. Won Word on March 9, 2017 at 11:47 am

I wonder how you keep the paint from wearing off the pully wheels over time. This is why metal wheels are ideal, albeit more expensive.

BTW, the plural form of “pully” is “pullies,” not “pully’s.”

• Leslie Whitt Comer on April 29, 2017 at 5:58 am

Try “pullies,” Won Word.

• Stephen on July 25, 2017 at 3:20 pm

thank you! I was amazed and confused when I saw Ms. Jackson’s spelling correction…. :/

• AJ Vaughn on March 4, 2018 at 8:00 am

WHY CORRECT SPELLING AND PRICES WHEN WE ALL LIVE IN DIFFERENT CITIES AND PRICES ARE DIFFERENT? THESE LADIES DID AN AWESOME JOB AND WERE NICE ENOUGH TO SHARE AND THEY GET HIT WITH SPELLING AND PRICE DIFFERENCES??? WHATS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? THANKS LADIES. AWESOME JOB AND US REAL DIY HOME OWNERS LOVE YOUR IDEAS THE TIME U TOOK TO HELP US. HAPPY DAYS TO YALL!

• CC on March 22, 2018 at 8:25 am

Agree…. it’s all about the ideas not a grammer lesson. Also different stores and cites have different prices & stock. I love this stuff!!!!
            Usually w/ DYI project Your going to end up making some adjustment or styles to fit Your situations & space thus things are going to change. No one can accommodate Everyones home decor in videos. It’s a starting point to what works for You. It is a great idea because I thought You had no choice but to buy expensive hardware for any tyoe of barn door look.
            So Awesome!!! Thank You for the many video’s. ??

• CC on March 22, 2018 at 8:27 am

Oops wrote correction… type… lol

• M on March 28, 2018 at 12:51 pm

So right.

• Blk Dude on December 13, 2018 at 9:57 am

AMEN AJ

• throwsomecolor on January 20, 2020 at 11:45 am

AMEN!!!

• Chuck on November 4, 2021 at 9:32 pm

That’s right. Cost will be different. Deal with it.

• Chris Schimick on October 28, 2017 at 2:08 pm

The correct word is “pulleys,” but thank you for playing.

“In an age where Google dominates the Internet, how are so many grammatical errors still made on a daily basis?”

• Wendy Envik on November 18, 2017 at 7:45 am

Isn’t that one word, not “won” word?

• Mike Albert on December 2, 2019 at 10:50 pm

…or Juan word?

• Kallie Jackson on May 13, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Pulleys. The plural of pulley is pulleys.

• Jody Johnson on July 20, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I’m having the same issue. I didn’t do a good job sanding the metal before painting it. I’m going to try sanding, repainting and then doing a clear coat. I’m hoping it helps.

• Jessica Jahns on August 8, 2017 at 7:05 pm

im curious about this too…have everything ready to put on but conflicted because i dont want the paint to chip when the doors roll. Has anyone come across this problem or have a solution??

• Jody Johnson on August 8, 2017 at 8:23 pm

So I went back and carefully followed the spray paint instructions. Sanded, washed and dried all the pieces. Primed with Rustoleum black primer, then 2 coats of rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint and then a clear coat. The paint held up much better than my first attempt but no matter what I think that the paint will chip off slightly where wheels meet metal. I just figure that it’s a bit of a distressed look to begin with so it should be fine.

• Jesse on April 30, 2018 at 6:00 am

they have special paint, but there is a better way. Use ur oven to heat the wheel up. The paint will bond to the plastic 4ever. Youtube will show u exactly how

• Jesse on April 30, 2018 at 6:00 am

HEAT

• Debi Reeves on September 16, 2017 at 10:02 am

Some times we have au to correct to thank for our spellong error but hey ….to error is human!!!!!

• Jesse on April 30, 2018 at 5:53 am

Actually its ” pulleys “

• Matthew Jarrett on June 19, 2018 at 3:00 pm

“Pulley” and “pulleys”, actually. As far as metal wheels, I just bought a package of 4 steel pulleys on Amazon for $10. Definitely worth it, as I’m “aging” them artificially to achieve a nice antique patina. Much harder to do with nylon.

• Michelle Pettis on February 18, 2021 at 7:34 am

What size Pully (pluuy/pullies) did you buy? I can’t find sizing anywhere on this post!

48. Jack on March 9, 2017 at 7:13 am

Just thinking out loud here: To keep the door from coming off the track backwards(or forward for that matter)maybe you can use a longer hex head bolt instead of the hex head screw, put it thru a drilled hole in the piece with the head staying on the outside, use a second-but shorter- nylon spacer between the head of the bolt and aluminum cross piece so it sticks out just a little bit farther then the wheel. I know, I know maybe a stretch but the door not stopping as it reaches the outside edge is a big problem in my mind.

• Shanty2Chic on March 9, 2017 at 7:30 am

Yep! That’s what we have been suggesting on social media. This piece doesn’t need a stop. The door is so small 😉

• Angela on January 5, 2019 at 8:14 am

My wheel doesn’t spin. It locks in place. What did I do wrong?

• Shanty2Chic on March 9, 2017 at 7:41 am

Briarsmoke by Varathane 🙂

49. Kim Harnagel on March 9, 2017 at 7:00 am

Smart way to get a good look. I know this is crazy but….where did you get the baskets? I’ve been looking for these exact ones!

• Mary on February 13, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Try Michaels for baskets they usually have a big selection of different sizes and colors too.

• Matthew Jarrett on June 19, 2018 at 3:03 pm

I make crates from scrap wood, but if you have them in your area, try Home Goods. Good selection of baskets and crates of all sizes. My wife’s been collecting them for ages!

• Kathy McCord on June 22, 2018 at 5:54 am

Menards now has a huge selection of baskets and shelf containers too.

50. Николай баранов on March 9, 2017 at 4:46 am

Excellent work) But you need to think of something, so that the door does not swing backwards.

• Shanty2Chic on March 9, 2017 at 7:29 am

It’s so light weight that it doesn’t swing backwards 😉 I would have added a guide at the bottom if it needed it.

• JJ Rubalcava on March 11, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Any plans for this particular nightstand? Looks nice and simple.

51. Lynn Bui on March 8, 2017 at 9:18 pm

What stain did you use for this? I like the color.

52. Ashlee Lindstrom on March 8, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Love thanks so much for this! I’ve been wanting to do this for quite some time now I actually can ????????