Ashley’s Large Vintage Looking Dominoes ~ Tutorial

16K Shares
TGIF everyone ~ Hope you are enjoying yours! So, Whit and I had our first guest blogging experience with Beckie over at her great site Infarrantly Creative. She was so gracious to let us post one of our exciting projects on her site while she was enjoying a little R&R. Thanks so much Beckie! If you get a chance stop by and tell her hi!
Our project we shared on Beckie’s blog is our Large Vintage Looking Dominoes. We loved how our Vintage Looking Dice turned out and wanted to expand the idea from there….…which lead us to the dominoes! This was such a fun project and we are so thrilled to share our tutorial and tips with you!
We started out with a 2×10 piece of lumber that Whitney purchased from Lowe’s for $5.00. We marked off every 16 inches and began cutting with our circular saw which made 6 individual pieces.
We then picked up our battery powered sander and took turns sanding down every edge and corner to form the shape of a domino.
Now for the paint! We purchased Behr Cozy Cottage Satin from Home Depot…we picked this one purely for the name (it’s a shade of cream).
Let the painting begin….
Two coats later and we are ready for the dots! We dry brushed some Behr Forever Black Satin over a circle stencil that we cut with our Cricut. It made for perfect dots…
We placed electrical tape on each domino to form a stencil for us to dry brush a line down the middle….we let it curve around the edge just a tad….
Now for more sanding…We used our 3M sanding block with 80 grit sand paper and roughed-up the edges a lot (especially the corners)….

A coat of Minwax Red Mahogany stain over the distressed edges gave the dominoes a great vintage look…

We finished these babies off with our FAVE ~ Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze (also purchased at Home Depot) to complete our vintage look ~ just paint on and wipe away with an old cloth!

Our finished Large Vintage Looking Dominoes!

We decided at the last minute that our dominoes would be best displayed hanging on a wall…. A package of 6 Saw Tooth Hangers (purchased at Wal-Mart for $0.97) made hanging simple!

Just hammer one in the center of each domino….

A few wall anchors later and our dominoes are on perfect display!
I decided to hang mine on a wall in my dining room/entry way. They add such a fun touch to the room!
Whitney decided to hang her dominoes on a wall by her sitting area in her loft. They look great and make the perfect conversation piece!

Here is a close-up of the distressed edges…

We hope that you have enjoyed our Large Vintage Looking Dominoes! We added a detailed tutorial so that you all can make your own! They are so easy and cheap ~ we made 6 dominoes for $5.00! What a bargain! If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask! Hope you have been inspired!

16K Shares

1. Leanne on September 26, 2009 at 12:07 am

Those are too cute. Another project to add to my list. Thanks for the cute idea.

2. Debbie @ The Shabby Bungalow on September 25, 2009 at 10:51 pm

These look fantastic – you are sooooooooooo clever 🙂

3. Gina on September 25, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Beautiful! What a great project-these would look great in a game room too. Amazing!

And thanks for stopping by today-it was fun to have you visit!

4. Wendy on September 25, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Those are really cool! They would be so cute in a game room!

5. Cara on September 25, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Love this idea for a Family Room!! You ladies are the most creative ladies, love the ideas!!!!!

Blessings,
    Cara

6. { L } on September 25, 2009 at 6:07 pm

This would be the perfect accessory for a game room too…I just can't get over how talented you girls are!!

7. Launa on September 25, 2009 at 6:06 pm

I really think I need to get me one of those buckets of gold from Ralph Lauren!! LOVE it!! 😀

8. CourtneyKeb on September 25, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Super cute idea!
    Those would be great accents to a game night too! Like on a food table next to popcorn and snacks.
    SWEET!

9. Jody on September 25, 2009 at 4:43 pm

WOW! I loved the dice, but these are awesome too. I too am off to buy the RL glaze, that stuff is amazing from what I have seen in your projects.

Jody

10. Karen Valentine on September 25, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Oh my gosh… It's one great idea after another with you two!!!! I've added you to my blogroll so that more of us can enjoy your wonderfull ideas! Thanks!

Karen
    My Desert Cottage

11. Room to Inspire on September 25, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Of course, these look fabulous – you ladies are full of very inspiring ideas – keep them coming!

Chelsea

12. Natalie on September 25, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Love Love Love these dominos! Great for a family game room! Find your blog a couple of weeks ago and now I just can't get enough! You are incredible ideas!

13. Tamera on September 25, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Great idea and you can't beat that price! Love the finished product…..now to think of somewhere to hang them…:)

14. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle on September 25, 2009 at 3:32 pm

The perfect finishing touch for a small area that might ordinarily go untouched.

15. Sarah on September 25, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I so love you two! Your projects rock, so creative!

16. Candice on September 25, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Beautiful! I've never heard of the RL Glaze…but I'm off to find out more about it! 🙂

17. Sheri on September 25, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Oh my gosh! Please just come decorate my house. Pretty please? LOL

I think I can do this. (maybe)

18. ~ RM on September 25, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Oh, man. I'm convinced. I will go get some Ralph Lauren Glaze today. 😉 I've just seen too many great things. Where do you guys get all this inspiration?? You always have a great idea going- LOVE IT!!!

19. TheOldPostRoad on September 25, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Great job! The glaze and stain really make the dominoes look "professional." (as in -'straight from Pottery Barn')

20. Morning T on September 25, 2009 at 1:52 pm

These are SO cool! That glaze you use makes all the difference, I'll have to pick some up.

Since I found your blog I just can't get enough of you both so I've awarded you the 'Honest Scrap' award today. Check out my post today to read the details. I can't wait to find out 10 things about you!