DIY Rustic Modern Dining Table

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, our first thought is not what we are going to cook but what we are going to eat the food on! We designed this simple Rustic Modern Dining table that you can build with only 12 2x6x8 boards – that’s about $50 in lumber! Check out our How-To Youtube video, below, to see just how simple this bad boy is to build!

50-dining-table

As always we have the free printable plans for ya! Just click HERE to download and print them. Then, you can follow along with the step-by-step below!

lumber-for-dining-table

This right here is all the lumber you need! 12 – 2x6x8 boards!

table-saw

We used our Ridgid Table Saw to rip the round edges off and made each board 5″ in width. This is not a necessary step but it will create a very smooth table top with no ridges. If you don’t rip them, make the base about 4″ wider.

make-cuts

Then, we made our cuts!

legs-for-dining-table

Here are the legs.

runners-for-table

The table runners

leg-runners-and-supports

and the supports and the leg runners.

kreg-jig-k5

After all of our cuts had been made, we used our Kreg Jig K5 to drill 1 1/2″ pocket holes into the boards.(Refer to our printable plans for the pocket hole placement). You can see that we have our Kreg Jig set to drill 1 1/2″ pocket holes. You can find the Kreg Jig that we use HERE on Amazon and you can watch our How to use a Kreg Jig video HERE.

assemble-table-legs

We started by assembling both legs. We used wood glue and 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

build-dining-table-legs

The leg runners will attach to the legs and be flush with the edges of the legs. Make sure that your pocket holes face out so that you won’t see them once the table is done.

leg-boxes

Now, you should have two legs that look like boxes πŸ™‚

runners-on-table-legs

Attach the runners while the table legs are upside down. Your pocket holes will face up and the runners will be flush with the outside of the table legs.

attach-runners

Attach the runners with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws and wood glue.

attach-supports

Now, attach the supports between the table runners with wood glue and 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws. (Refer to the plans for the placement of the supports).

spray-painting-table spray-paint-table-base

We wanted the table base to resemble a metal base so we sprayed two coats of Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic spray paint to the entire base. You can find the spray paint HERE on Amazon

build-planked-table-top

While the spray paint was drying, we assembled the table top. Attach all of the planks with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws and wood glue. Then, measure and cut the breadboards to fit the planked top perfectly.

attach-breadboards-to-table

Attach the breadboards with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

attach-base-to-top

Flip the table base upside down and center it on top of the table top.

spax-screws

Attach the base to the table top with 2 1/2″ Spax screws. We prefer the star head screws and love using Spax screws because there is no need to predrill! You can find the Spax T-Star screws HERE on Amazon.

ready-to-stain-the-table-top

Flip the table right-side-up and it’s ready for the finish! We used one coat of Dark Walnut stain on the table top. You can find the stain HERE on Amazon.

diy-rustic-modern-dining-table

Add some fall decor and you have yourself a table that will impress your guests! We found the cute fall decor and the table runner, Β for the centerpiece, at AtHome!

50-dining-table

There you have it friends! A DIY Rustic Modern Dining table that we built with only 12 2×6 boards, a few tools and had it done in one afternoon! We are ready to entertain for Thanksgiving in style! If you build one for yourself, make sure to tag us @shanty2chic on our social channels or upload it to your Reader’s Projects section of our website!

Make sure to check the how-to video out below!

Happy Building and Happy Entertaining!

You can find the rug HERE!

You can find the mirrors HERE!

The Table Runner and Fall Centerpiece Decor can be found at AtHome!

1. Monica on August 31, 2018 at 11:05 am

Hi there,

I was wonderingifbi wanted to make an 8 foot table how would you recommend modifying it so the legs can support the weight?

Thanks!

2. Karlie on April 23, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Is this table pretty heavy and sturdy for outdoor use? I would love to build this table for my outdoor patio in Arizona, but would love know if it has good weight to it for when we have windy days.

3. Candice Pender on December 26, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Can anyone please tell me how far apart I need to space the pocket holes?

4. Patricia on November 13, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Hi everyone. Is there anybody who has made this table for small spaces? I need for 4 places. Do you think the current size fits maximum of 6 chairs?

Thanks!

5. Shelby George on October 9, 2017 at 2:08 pm

I’m trying to download the measurements for the pocket holes however when I click the link it doesn’t show up. I’m able to download the plans for the wood measurements though.

6. Randy Boyd on August 24, 2017 at 12:22 pm

How far apart do u make pocket holes on the planks

• Candice Pender on December 26, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Did anyone every answer this question or did you figure it out? I’m wanting to know the same thing

7. Leticia Llamas on August 13, 2017 at 2:37 am

HI!, So if my table comes out to be 5.5 feet long, what should my runners measure? 84 inches is too long for our apt! Thanks, anyone’s help, please! THANK YOU

8. Randy Boyd on August 7, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Where can I get plans for $50 thanksgiving table I like table I think look good after I put the new flooring down

9. Jose Haedo on June 15, 2017 at 7:07 am

Any chair ideas for this table?

10. kacey on May 31, 2017 at 12:21 pm

could this be used as an outdoor table if coated with poly?

11. Kevin O'Brien on October 17, 2016 at 12:49 pm

This is such an awesome table. Thank you for sharing! Although I don’t know where you guys live but here in NY those boards are $6 a piece so more like a $75 table. Still inexpensive for a full size table. Thank you!

12. Amy Park on October 11, 2016 at 8:33 am

Is there any wiggle in this table? I built something very similar for a coffee table, but the wooden legs caused a lot of wobble in the long direction of the table. I love this table, but want to make sure it’s solid enough – my dad love to put all of his weight on the table as he stands up! Thanks!

• Anne Curwen on October 11, 2016 at 1:34 pm

I didn’t think there is any wiggle. I used HD screws in the legs and base as I wanted to make sure it was strong and sturdy. I feel like it is!

• Amy Park on October 11, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Awesome, thanks!

• Ben Grisinger on October 18, 2016 at 6:57 am

Mine had a lot of wiggle. I just turned my runners 90 degrees and it is solid as can be now. I am a big guy (about 280 lbs) and I can put my weight on the table to stand up with no movement.

I used the regular panhead screws.

• Amy Park on October 20, 2016 at 3:52 pm

So the long runners have the 6″ side perpendicular to the table top, instead of parallel like in the original plans?

13. Anne Curwen on October 5, 2016 at 9:08 am

I love this and can’t wait to build this weekend! do you use the Kreg Jig HD and HD screws for the base for this or did you use normal pocket hole screws?

14. Amanda Eley on September 29, 2016 at 5:44 am

This may be a silly question but what boards from home depot do you use? When I go through the basic boards there all of them seemed warped or curvy. I get the straightest boards that I can but some projects still do not come out right and my tables come out wobbly after because of it.

• orangesugar on October 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Considering this is a $50 table I assume they are using construction grade lumber. You’ll be lucky to find straight lumber at the big box stores and you’ll have to pick through lots of it to find any.

• Shanty2Chic on October 12, 2016 at 12:51 pm