Mason Jar Centerpieces

Hey guys!  I built a super fun and functional vintage-looking soda crate this week.  I got my inspiration from Ana’s!  I modified mine quite a bit and I just LOVE it!

mason jar craft ideasHere’s how I made it for $12!

mason jar centerpieceI purchased 1 1×6 @ 8ft. and cut it down.  You can use a hand saw for this!

4 @ 11″

3 @ 9.5″

2 @ 4.25″ (cut these after you build the crate for a snug fit)

finishing nailsI joined one 9.5″ piece, with the two 9.5″ pieces, together with Gorilla Glue Wood Glue and my battery nailer.  If you do not have a battery nailer, a hammer and finishing nails will be awesome!

diy centerpiece

Then, I added two 11″ pieces on each end and followed with glue and nails.

wood crateI flipped it over and attached the last two 11″ pieces to form the bottom of the crate.

dividers

After measuring for the dividers, I pushed them down inside to form 4 cubbies.  These will need to be snug so measure before you cut!

hobby lobbyFor a fun handle, I purchased a bag of little candle sticks and a glass knob from Hobby Lobby (knobs are always 1/2 off now ~ WHOOP!)

unfinished woodI then drilled a hole in the center of the candlestick (just large enough to squeeze the knob screw in)

Epoxy on candle stick

attaching the knob to candle stickA little Gorilla Glue epoxy on both ends, I attached the knob at the open end of the candle stick and attached the base of the candle stick to the center of the crate.

I filled the cubbies with 32 oz. wide mouth mason jars and had a little fun:)

mason jar centerpieces for weddings

What a fun way to shanty up silver ware for a cook-out!

mason jar craft ideasOr a fun centerpiece full of fresh flowers!

diy jars

mason jar craft ideas

mason jar craftWant to know how I finished it?  Check out my tutorial on how to weather wood!

Thanks so much!

~Ashley

Comments

1. Karen Berg says:

Just found this on Pinterest. I love it!! Pinning and sharing on my FB page too. Fabulous!

2. Katie Sabin says:

Super love this! If it weren’t so late, I would go chop saw some wood right now and get started! Tomorrow will be soon enough… :)

3. Hey. It really looks amazing …but how do you make the painting??

4. Robyn Hammond says:

Cute project & a great tutorial! Thanks!

5. I just started this project today and of course the bottom pieces of wood were a little crooked but it still turned out great for my first one. I have the first coat of stain on it. I can’t wait to finish it. I am going to put a rustic handle that I bought from hobby lobby on the top instead of the knob. I love your site and your tutorials. Yall are just wonderful. Now my hubby has to share his workshop with me!!!!LOL!!!!!

6. What a fun theme! Filing that one away for later;)

Sent from my iPad

7. I love this project. I did it today but I had a problem. I followed your directions and cuts but for the life of me could not get the dimensions to work out. I ended up having to cut down one of the 11″ pices to 9.5″ in order for it to make the box. In the end it all worked out and looks awesome! I did mine in a turquoise-ish blue! Thanks for all the great projects! can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

8. I was wondering if you finished this the same way as the Mothers Day planter boxes? I’ve been searching and haven’t been able to find the follow up for that one….any key words I can use? Thanks, and this is beautiful!!!

9. Kculleit says:

I would love to know how you painted this, but didn’t see a follow up.
    THANKS!

10. NYGirls says:

I’m going to tackle a saw for the first time just to make this. Oh….so many uses!!!!

11. love this!! thanks for the tutorial! i’m curious to know how you painted it to get that vintage look…?

12. I LOVE this caddy idea!! I think I might make a beachy one for utensils and what-not for pool parties!!

13. Such a cute idea, love the use of jars. Have you ever tried Save-On-Crafts they have a lot of fun items for DYI and display. There prices are close to if not at wholesale, I use them all the time, I have no affiliation, just a really happy customer :-) It is an online store and they ship really fast. I like going on just too look and get ideas.

Love your project, I am still trying to figure out something to do with mason jars <3

14. Love it! What is a battery nailer, is that the type of nailer you use on all these types of projects? I’m not sure what to invest in??

15. Kristin Byrne says:

love the knob in the center! what a great touch!

16. I love this and have been needing one of these at home. I can see it filled with jars of daisies when not in service as cutlery carrier.

17. Mariaelena says:

Fabulous!!…love it…great detail.
    Mariaelena

18. Darlene says:

Oh that is adorable & perfect for my retro-kitchen redo that I am in the process of doing. I know it will look perfect sitting on the counter holding my silverware :)

19. Soo cute! Love it!

20. Tonya @ Love of Family & Home says:

So cute!! Love it!

21. Ok! I need one of these STAT! Sooo cute! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Trackbacks

1. link web site

Mason Jar Centerpieces

2. so you want to move to hawaii

Mason Jar Centerpieces

3. […] photo courtesy of Shanty2chic […]

4. [...] country chic decor with discarded glass jars. Shanty-2-Chic places them in a vintage looking crate for a practical and decorative centerpiece. Fill them with [...]

5. [...] of the projects that caught my attention was this DIY Mason Jar Crate from Shanty 2 Chic. The project looked relatively easy to tackle, would give me a great excuse to use the chopsaw I [...]