Restoration Hardware Inspired Dining Table for $110

Hey there!  I’ve been moving right along trying to fill up all of the empty rooms in our new house.  This week I moved into our dining room and I have been dying to build this Restoration Hardware inspired Dining Table since we started building our new house!  You may have seen a sneak peak of this beauty on our Instagram!  Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to keep up with our most current projects!
Restoration-Hardware-Inspired-Dining-TableMan I love this table!  The piece that inspired it is $2,205 before tax and I built mine for $110!  Wow, wow, wow!  I still can’t believe it!

***UPDATE: Free plans for the matching benches can be found HERE!***

Of course, we want you all to be able to build one too so we have FREE Printable plans for you!  Just click the image below or HERE to print them!

restoration-dining-table-plansA huge shout-out to Jay at Jays Custom Creations for creating printable plans for us to share with you!

And, as always, I’ve provided my tutorial pictures to make it even easier for you to create your own!  I love building tables because you get so much bang for your work and money.  They look intimidating but this one, especially, is VERY EASY to build!

planked-topI started by attaching the 1×6 boards to create the planked top!

drill-pocket-holesI used my K5 set at 3/4″ to drill pocket holes.

attach-planksAnd, I used 1 1/4″ screws to attach the boards. To create a smooth surface and to keep the top from bowing, just clamp each pocket joint as you go.

clamp-jointsEasy! Ready for trim!

add-long-trimMake sure to measure and cut as you go for the trim pieces.

miter-4x4I used my Ridgid 12″ sliding compound miter saw to cut the 4×4 pieces.

mitered-legHere’s a pic of the 45 degree miter that you will need to cut for the feet.

sand-boardsAnd, before assembling the pieces, I gave them a good sanding with my Ryobi Corner Cat sander.  I don’t always do this before assembly but the 4×4’s were dirty and pretty rough.  I used a 50-grit sanding pad for this.

Kreg-Jig-HDToo attach the 4×4’s, I used my Kreg HD.  It’s super easy, clamp and drill!

base-with-stretcherHere is the stretcher and the feet assembled.  Don’t use wood glue here because this is a temporary assembly just to establish the pocket hole joints. After assembled, remove the stretcher

legsand add the short feet.

add-foot-padsAdd the foot pads to each foot

foot-pads

legs-assembledNow, the legs

add-top-of-legsThen, start stacking the 2×4 cuts on top of the legs.  I used 2 1/2″ spax screws.  They are a bit pricey for wood screws but you don’t have to pre-drill!

stack-layers-on-legsHere are the legs completely assembled and now, believe it or not, it’s time to stain! Don’t assemble the table yet, stain first!

Rustoleum-Carrington-Stain1I chose Carrington by Rust-Oleum to finish the table.  Just wipe on one-coat with a clean cloth, wait 5-minutes to let it sit, then wipe with another clean cloth to blend it.

distress-table-edgesI wanted the table to look worn so I used my Ryobi Corner Cat sander to distress all over.  I used an 80-grit sanding pad for this part. (I didn’t decide to do this until the table was inside and assembled…. It made a big mess so if you know you will do this, do it before you bring it inside).

polyI did add 3 coats of Varathayne polyurethane to the table in, matte finish, with a bristle brush.

DIY-Dining-Table-PlansLOVE it :)

Free-Dining-Table-Plans

DIY-Dining-Table

How-to-build-a-dining-table

Restoration-Hardware-Inspired-Dining-TableNow I need to get busy on the benches and filling up the rest of the room!  I have to say that this is by far my favorite table that I have built so far!

diy-dining-table-benchesFree plans for the matching benches can be found HERE!

Thanks so much for stopping by :) – Ashley

Curious about some of the other things you have seen in this room?

You can find out about the paint colors HERE!

I shared the flooring HERE!

The chandelier HERE!

diy-bar-cart-2DIY Bar Cart HERE!

Pallet_ArtPottery Barn Inspired Pallet Art HERE!

And we have built a TON of tables over the years :)  You can click the images for the tutorials!

diy-round-table

DIY-Dining-Table

DIY-Table-Pottery-Barn-Inspired

diy-wooden-dining-table

table7

Comments

1. I’m about to start on this project this weekend, I’ve bought the wood and am ready to go! I was wondering about potentially mitering the corners of the frame around the top, similar to how you did the outdoor table on sawhorses. Since you can’t use the jig right on the corners, is your only option to just reinforce it all the way around with the top panels? Thank you so much for all you do!

2. Do the pocket holes allow for contraction and expansion of the table top?

• Not really… If you need to do that, then I would assemble the table top differently. I have planked all of my tables (indoor) this way and haven’t had any issues though. Hope this helps! Also, we build with white wood boards which do not swell and warp as much as other species.

3. Vanessa Williams says:

I just started this project this evening and I’m very excited! I know everyone works at their own pace but I was curious how long it took you from first cut to stain? Thanks

4. Michael Fallon says:

Certainly going to try this. I am going to keep it at 96″, do you think I can leave the base is? I imagine it should be enough to support the longer top.

5. are there any plans available for the light fixture above the table?

6. So, I just finished this project. First off, thanks for the plans and pics, there’s no way I could have done this on my own. It’s looks gorgeous (if I do say so myself). The only issue is that it’s a bit tall. Mine is coming out at 32.5″, and that feels pretty high with the chairs we have. How high did yours come out?

• Hi John!
      Just measured and mine is 31″ high…. Wonder what you did different?

• OK, thanks. I have no idea what I could have done differently. Regardless, at this point, I’m just going to remove the 3rd layer from the top of each base component. That will drop me down to 30 3/4″, which should feel much more normal, and really shouldn’t affect the aesthetic. Thanks again for all the help.

• Great idea!!! Send us some pics of it :)

• Ok, so now I’m officially done and I couldn’t be happier. I’ll try to attach some pics below. Aside from height difference which wasn’t planned, I did two other things differently. First I used poplar instead of pine. Second, I used a solid stain and didn’t attempt to distress the wood. Hope you like it! Thanks again!
            PS Ignore the rest of the room, this was step one for putting together a dining room.

• Way to go John!!! Love the finish on it!!!! :) thanks so much for sharing!

7. So I was just attaching the 1×6’s together and the screw end popped through the top side of the wood. I thought I had all the adjustments set on the kreg jig. Could I have just tightened the screw in too much? It isn’t that noticeable so I may just still use the board.

Also, does anyone have a method for attaching the 4×4’s without using the kreg hd?

8. Debbra Tackett says:

but the light fixture above the table w/ the candles… did you make that?? I love it!

9. I have a desk that is all done minus the seal…
    I cannot decide between satin or matte finish!
    Do you have any pros and cons to either?
    And Ive never used rustoleums satin poly… is it shiny?
    The minwax satin was way more shiny than Id thought it would be for “satin”

10. KPresley says:

Anyway you could give me the plans for this table but for a 6ft table? I want to build this table for my breakfast nook and 96 inches is too long for my space. Thanks!

11. digital_andrew says:

Hey I love the design but I was wanting to use 2X12’s instead of 1X6’s on the top, do you think the legs can adequately support nearly doubling the weight?? Thanks

12. Lane Cook says:

Why not glue the table top along with the pocket screws? It would seem like the wood would shrink and cause cracks in between the places where the screws are over time.

13. daphness84 says:

What are the finished dimensions of this table?

14. Hi, can you tells what kind of floors are in your house? I love them!

15. J Sucherman says:

How do you clamp down the pocket hole joints in the MIDDLE of the table? The clamps don’t reach! Please help thanks

16. Tyi Duncan-Whitcomb says:

What are the finished dimnesions?

17. Hi Guys, I absolutely love what you guys are doing here! I am having trouble finding untreated pine or whitewood 4x4x8 posts in my area. Did you find them at your local home depot? Thanks and cannot wait to get started on this project!

18. Sharde T says:

Will the Kreg Jig K4 work for this project?

• Sharde T says:

Great! What about for making the pocket holes in the 4x4s? This is the first time I’m using my Kreg Jig K4, but I don’t have the Kreg Jig HD and the measurements don’t look like they aren’t made for a 4×4. Thanks in advance!

• Chris W says:

I was wondering the same thing. I don’t have the Kreg Jig HD and was wondering I can use the regular Kreg jig or if there is a different way to join the 4×4’s.

• Natalie Martin says:

Could you explain how to use the K4 on the 4x4s? I can’t find anything on the kreg site that helps! Thanks!!

19. jrob2287 says:

I can’t for the life of me figure out how you’ve added the angled bracing. Are the any better photos of this spot?

• Hey! I used 1 1/4″ brad nails and wood glue but for those without a brad nailer, counter sinking screws is the best way!

• jrob2287 says:

Thanks!

• Sorry, but I’m still not following where/how you attach the angled bracing. I downloaded the pdf of your plans and step 8 describes this part. I didn’t understand where you pre-drill? In your pictures above, I couldn’t see any screws to get an idea of where you start.

• Doug Beach says:

• I used my brad nailer and wood glue. We suggested wood screws for those that don’t own nailers but 1/4″ brad nails will work and may be easier. If you are going to use wood acres, just pre drill at an angle into the leg and foot where the joints touch. Hope this helps!

20. pastorkevinwright says:

Hey ladies. Just curious, did you use poly on the entire table or just the top?

21. Casey H says:

I have a delimma…in step 10 where you drill the keg jog holes to attach the table top…I’m not quite sure how to do that since the layers are already assembled. I may be reading it wrong, and there weren’t any pics of that step:/. Any guidance would be great. Thanks so much for the wonderful plans!

• Hi Casey! You can use your Kreg Jig as the plans show (just take the block out of the Kreg Jig and clamp it) or just drill 2″ wood screws from under the the longest layer into the table top (that’s what I did so I didn’t have to bring as many tools in the house) ;) hope this helps!

22. Starsky says:

The table looks great! Thanks for the plans. The only question I had
    is how did you securely attach the 45˚ leg supports to the actual leg
    for the table? I’ve been trying to clamp the pieces to be able
    to counter screw them together but the pieces keep slipping. Any advice
    on how to keep the two pieces together?

• That’s awesome to hear! I actually just used wood glue and nailed them with my Airstrike. It’s not as secure but once the glue dries it’s fine!

23. Adam Roman says:

The table came out great! Curious did you use pocket holes to attach the trim?

24. Erin @ How to Nest for Less says:

Simply gorgeous!!

25. Lindsay Rice says:

Would the legs support this if we made the top 6’x6’? you are so talented!!

26. Jennifer Alison says:

Can you make this a 6 foot table? Would anything besides the top need modification??

27. Love the table and the cart and………. Yep going to give one of these projects a try !

28. Lynn Cutler says:

I love how intricate these legs look, even though the build doesn’t look too complicated. I am planning to build a dining table this spring and have been admiring all your plans for a while now. Since we have 8 people in our family, and often have company, I’d like to seat about 10 at our table. Which do you think would be the best plan to make a really big table? Which leg formation is most comfortable for those sitting on the ends?

29. astrollthrulife says:

Your table is fabulous. I love, love, love it. Wow, I am impressed.

30. ini99001 says:

Ashley, what did you use after you stained the table for water spills?

31. Gorgeous piece. You sure do have a lot of tables… are those all in your own house?

32. Cassie Thompson says:

Love it! So you guys are making all your own plans now? I am always amazed to see how everything comes together – I could never do the math involved!

Trackbacks

1. […] this Restoration Hardware insider dining table with the instructions and step by step photos from ‘Shanty 2 Chic’! A link to the full […]

2. […] saw this amazing table on one of my favourite blogs, Shanty 2 Chic, which inspired me to come up with my own easy version.  Basically the tabletop consists of 4 […]

3. […] If you’re into carpentry, and have the time, you can make this incredible table from Shanty 2 Chic for very little money. […]

4. […] Continue reading here: Restoration Hardware Inspired Dining Table for $110 – Shanty 2 Chic […]