Restoration Hardware Inspired Dining Table for $110

Hey there!  I’ve been moving right along trying to fill up all of the empty rooms in our new house.  This week I moved into our dining room and I have been dying to build this Restoration Hardware inspired Dining Table since we started building our new house!  You may have seen a sneak peak of this beauty on our Instagram!  Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to keep up with our most current projects!
Restoration Hardware Inspired Dining TableMan I love this table!  The piece that inspired it is $2,205 before tax and I built mine for $110!  Wow, wow, wow!  I still can’t believe it!

***UPDATE: Free plans for the matching benches can be found HERE!***

Of course, we want you all to be able to build one too so we have FREE Printable plans for you!  Just click the image below or HERE for the free plans.

click-for-free-plans

restoration-dining-table-plans

And, as always, I’ve provided my tutorial pictures to make it even easier for you to create your own!  I love building tables because you get so much bang for your work and money.  They look intimidating but this one, especially, is VERY EASY to build!

Restoration Hardware Inspired Dining Table

planked-topI started by attaching the 1×6 boards to create the planked top!

drill-pocket-holesI used my K5 set at 3/4″ to drill pocket holes. You can find the Kreg Jig HERE on Amazon. Watch our How to Use a Kreg Jig video HERE!

attach-planksAnd, I used 1 1/4″ screws to attach the boards. To create a smooth surface and to keep the top from bowing, just clamp each pocket joint as you go. You can find the Kreg Jig Face Clamps HERE on Amazon.

clamp-jointsEasy! Ready for trim!

add-long-trimMake sure to measure and cut as you go for the trim pieces.

miter-4x4I used my Ridgid 12″ sliding compound miter saw to cut the 4×4 pieces. Watch our How to use a Miter Saw video HERE!

mitered-legHere’s a pic of the 45 degree miter that you will need to cut for the feet.

sand-boardsAnd, before assembling the pieces, I gave them a good sanding with my Ryobi Corner Cat sander.  I don’t always do this before assembly but the 4×4’s were dirty and pretty rough.  I used a 50-grit sanding pad for this.

Kreg-Jig-HDToo attach the 4×4’s, I used my Kreg HD.  It’s super easy, clamp and drill! You can find the Kreg Jig HD HERE on Amazon.

base-with-stretcherHere is the stretcher and the feet assembled.  Don’t use wood glue here because this is a temporary assembly just to establish the pocket hole joints. After assembled, remove the stretcher

legsand add the short feet.

add-foot-padsAdd the foot pads to each foot

foot-pads

legs-assembledNow, the legs

add-top-of-legsThen, start stacking the 2×4 cuts on top of the legs.  I used 2 1/2″ spax screws.  They are a bit pricey for wood screws but you don’t have to pre-drill!

stack-layers-on-legsHere are the legs completely assembled and now, believe it or not, it’s time to stain! Don’t assemble the table yet, stain first! ***To attach these angle pieces we suggest screws in the plans. However, if you have a nailer, that will work great! If you choose to use wood screws, just predrill from the top of the angle piece into the leg post at an angle (bottom pieces angle down, top pieces angle up). Follow with 2″ wood screws and fill your screw holes with wood filler.***

Rustoleum-Carrington-Stain1I chose Carrington by Rust-Oleum to finish the table. (You can find Rust-oleum Stain HERE on Amazon) Just wipe on one-coat with a clean cloth, wait 5-minutes to let it sit, then wipe with another clean cloth to blend it.

distress-table-edgesI wanted the table to look worn so I used my Ryobi Corner Cat sander to distress all over.  I used an 80-grit sanding pad for this part. (I didn’t decide to do this until the table was inside and assembled…. It made a big mess so if you know you will do this, do it before you bring it inside).

polyI did add 3 coats of Varathayne polyurethane to the table in, matte finish, with a bristle brush. (You can find the Poly HERE on Amazon).

DIY-Dining-Table-PlansLOVE it 🙂

Free-Dining-Table-Plans

DIY-Dining-Table

How-to-build-a-dining-table

Restoration-Hardware-Inspired-Dining-TableNow I need to get busy on the benches and filling up the rest of the room!  I have to say that this is by far my favorite table that I have built so far!

diy-dining-table-benchesFree plans for the matching benches can be found HERE!

Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂 – Ashley

Curious about some of the other things you have seen in this room?

You can find out about the paint colors HERE!

I shared the flooring HERE!

The chandelier HERE!

diy-bar-cart-2DIY Bar Cart HERE!

Pallet_ArtPottery Barn Inspired Pallet Art HERE!

And we have built a TON of tables over the years 🙂  You can click the images for the tutorials!

diy-round-table

DIY-Dining-Table

DIY-Table-Pottery-Barn-Inspired

diy-wooden-dining-table

table7

1. daphness84 on July 5, 2014 at 1:29 pm

What are the finished dimensions of this table?

• www.EasyWoodwork.info on July 29, 2018 at 7:53 am

😁🤗💖🔨😍I’m so so happy with how mine turned out! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.info to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha 😁🤗💖🔨😍

😁🤗💖🔨😍 Check it out! Go to www. EasyWoodwork.info – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures! ✨✨✨

2. Brooke on July 2, 2014 at 5:56 am

Hi, can you tells what kind of floors are in your house? I love them!

• Shanty2Chic on July 5, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thank you Brooke! I shared a link to the flooring at the end of this post 🙂

3. J Sucherman on June 30, 2014 at 5:55 pm

How do you clamp down the pocket hole joints in the MIDDLE of the table? The clamps don’t reach! Please help thanks

• Shanty2Chic on June 30, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Hey josh! I work from one end to the other so I’m adding 1 board at a time and clamping that board… Make sense? Then it only has to reach the width of 1 board…

• joshmade on July 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Yes, thanks so much, u gals are great

4. Tyi Duncan-Whitcomb on June 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm

What are the finished dimnesions?

5. RT on June 24, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Hi Guys, I absolutely love what you guys are doing here! I am having trouble finding untreated pine or whitewood 4x4x8 posts in my area. Did you find them at your local home depot? Thanks and cannot wait to get started on this project!

• nate on July 3, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Keep searching. They are out there. Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling untreated 4X4’s for some unknown reason. Check your local lumber yards

• Shanty2Chic on July 5, 2014 at 10:18 am

We do find them at Home Depot but try a local lumber yard too!

6. Sharde T on June 2, 2014 at 8:33 am

Will the Kreg Jig K4 work for this project?

• Shanty2Chic on June 2, 2014 at 9:01 am

• Sharde T on June 4, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Great! What about for making the pocket holes in the 4x4s? This is the first time I’m using my Kreg Jig K4, but I don’t have the Kreg Jig HD and the measurements don’t look like they aren’t made for a 4×4. Thanks in advance!

• Chris W on June 8, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I don’t have the Kreg Jig HD and was wondering I can use the regular Kreg jig or if there is a different way to join the 4×4’s.

• Jake Sells on September 25, 2017 at 4:42 pm

You could use and make dowels

• Natalie Martin on July 23, 2014 at 10:32 am

Could you explain how to use the K4 on the 4x4s? I can’t find anything on the kreg site that helps! Thanks!!

• Shanty2Chic on August 5, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Hi Natalie,
          The 4×4’s need the Kreg HD… The HD drills pocket holes in 2×4 and 4×4

• Chelsie on March 4, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Is there a way to do this project without the Kreg HD??

7. jrob2287 on June 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I can’t for the life of me figure out how you’ve added the angled bracing. Are the any better photos of this spot?

• Shanty2Chic on June 1, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hey! I used 1 1/4″ brad nails and wood glue but for those without a brad nailer, counter sinking screws is the best way!

• jrob2287 on June 1, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Thanks!

• Guest on June 27, 2014 at 8:41 am

Sorry, but I’m still not following where/how you attach the angled bracing. I downloaded the pdf of your plans and step 8 describes this part. I didn’t understand where you pre-drill? In your pictures above, I couldn’t see any screws to get an idea of where you start.

• Doug Beach on June 27, 2014 at 9:53 am

• Shanty2Chic on June 27, 2014 at 9:55 am

I used my brad nailer and wood glue. We suggested wood screws for those that don’t own nailers but 1/4″ brad nails will work and may be easier. If you are going to use wood acres, just pre drill at an angle into the leg and foot where the joints touch. Hope this helps!

8. pastorkevinwright on May 27, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Hey ladies. Just curious, did you use poly on the entire table or just the top?

• Shanty2Chic on May 28, 2014 at 6:13 am

Hey there! I just poly the table top. It’s probably best to poly the entire thing with at least one coat 🙂 your table looks awesome!!!

9. Casey H on May 24, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I have a delimma…in step 10 where you drill the keg jog holes to attach the table top…I’m not quite sure how to do that since the layers are already assembled. I may be reading it wrong, and there weren’t any pics of that step:/. Any guidance would be great. Thanks so much for the wonderful plans!

• Shanty2Chic on May 24, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Hi Casey! You can use your Kreg Jig as the plans show (just take the block out of the Kreg Jig and clamp it) or just drill 2″ wood screws from under the the longest layer into the table top (that’s what I did so I didn’t have to bring as many tools in the house) 😉 hope this helps!

• Casey H on May 25, 2014 at 11:35 am

Thanks for clearing that up. We’re so excited about this table:)

• Shanty2Chic on May 28, 2014 at 6:14 am

Awesome!!! Happy to help:) share pictures with us once you are done, please 🙂

10. Starsky on May 21, 2014 at 3:53 pm

The table looks great! Thanks for the plans. The only question I had
    is how did you securely attach the 45˚ leg supports to the actual leg
    for the table? I’ve been trying to clamp the pieces to be able
    to counter screw them together but the pieces keep slipping. Any advice
    on how to keep the two pieces together?

• Shanty2Chic on May 21, 2014 at 4:03 pm

That’s awesome to hear! I actually just used wood glue and nailed them with my Airstrike. It’s not as secure but once the glue dries it’s fine!

11. Adam Roman on May 19, 2014 at 5:51 pm

The table came out great! Curious did you use pocket holes to attach the trim?

12. Erin @ How to Nest for Less on May 16, 2014 at 11:43 am

Simply gorgeous!!

13. Lindsay Rice on May 13, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Would the legs support this if we made the top 6’x6′? you are so talented!!

• Shanty2Chic on May 24, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Thank you Lindsay! They should work fine! I would adjust the width though to accommodate the added width of the table top 🙂

14. Jennifer Alison on May 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Can you make this a 6 foot table? Would anything besides the top need modification??

• Shanty2Chic on May 24, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Just adjust the table top and stretcher 🙂

15. Janny on May 9, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Love the table and the cart and………. Yep going to give one of these projects a try !

16. Lynn Cutler on May 9, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I love how intricate these legs look, even though the build doesn’t look too complicated. I am planning to build a dining table this spring and have been admiring all your plans for a while now. Since we have 8 people in our family, and often have company, I’d like to seat about 10 at our table. Which do you think would be the best plan to make a really big table? Which leg formation is most comfortable for those sitting on the ends?

• Shanty2Chic on May 24, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Hi Lynn! You could have 10 here with seats
      At the ends. I have a parsons chair at each end and it’s great 🙂

17. astrollthrulife on May 9, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Your table is fabulous. I love, love, love it. Wow, I am impressed.

18. ini99001 on May 9, 2014 at 10:43 am

Ashley, what did you use after you stained the table for water spills?

• ini99001 on May 9, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Thanks for the info, I don’t know if I missed it the first time around looking at your tutorial.
      Lovely table btw!

• Shanty2Chic on May 9, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Just added it! Sorry for the confusion:) thank you!

• Shanty2Chic on May 9, 2014 at 1:26 pm

So sorry! I forgot to add that to the post 🙂

19. Lori on May 9, 2014 at 10:29 am

Gorgeous piece. You sure do have a lot of tables… are those all in your own house?

• Shanty2Chic on May 9, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Thank you Lori! We both have one outside and inside and we give sell our old ones when it’s time to update 🙂

20. Cassie Thompson on May 9, 2014 at 9:46 am

Love it! So you guys are making all your own plans now? I am always amazed to see how everything comes together – I could never do the math involved!

• Shanty2Chic on May 9, 2014 at 9:51 am

• Holly on December 27, 2017 at 12:19 pm

does anyone have the plans/dimensions for this table as a 6 vs 8 person table? Our neighbors love our table and want the same but need it slightly smaller